On September 20th I decided to knit her a pair of socks. What could be so difficult?
I know how to knit and read directions.
I know how tink (knit backwards when I make a mistake.
I know how to frog (unravel) when I make mistakes.
Paton's Kroy Sock Stripes yarn, Bronzed Berry Stripes and the book "The Sock Knitter's Workshop" seemed like good choices.
I should read the directions thru before starting but that hardly ever happens.
Finished the cuff for sock one and two I started the leg. Looking through the book for heels and toes I realized I cast on for a child's sock size 7/8 not for the women's sock size.
Decided to start socks with different yarn Fortissima Colori Socka Color by Schoeller & Stahl (German flag colors) and a different book "Not just more Socks" by Sandy Rosner The Ripple Sock pattern looked a great match for the stripes. Used size 1 needles this time and started knitting. The pattern repeat is easy to remember but the process of knitting the socks was much slower than I anticipated.
By September 25th I had two socks but now came the dreaded "Kitchener Stitch" and I messed trying to get the socks finished in a hurry.
Needless to say, Hildegard did not get her socks for her birthday. They are still unfinished (Hildegard is on vacation this month) and I hope to have them done when she returns.
Thinking I could knit and finish a pair of socks in 5 days was insane!